Gluten Free Banana bread
Gluten-free banana bundt bread
With just a little bit of gluten free flour and a rather un-traditional shaped tin, this banana bread recipe is moist, gooey and very quick to bake. While it does keep in a tin for a week, it’s hard not to finish it off while it’s still warm out of the oven. Cut into slices and drizzle with a simple lemon glace icing.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 25 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINS
How to achieve a perfectly spongy texture
As anyone who has gone gluten free knows, bread and cakes are notorious for missing that squidgy, bouncy texture we instinctively expect. A lot of the time, despite our best efforts, they become a bit… well, dry and chewy.
While I’m still not entirely sure about the physics behind this, I accidentally discovered the secret to making a truly fluffy banana bread when I ran out of baking tins one day.
So I decided to split my batch into two tins kicking around at the back of the drawer – one small bundt tin, and one normal bread tin.
Banana in a bundt
The surprising result was one bread-shaped brick that sunk in on itself the second it left the oven, and one glorious doughnut shaped beauty that resolutely stood tall and thick for the full half an hour that it took for us to eat it all.
The trick, it would seem, is baking your banana bread in a bundt tin. By that, I mean the doughnut-shaped tins with the hole in the middle.
For whatever reason, maybe due to the extra surface area heating the mixture inside, the resulting cake tasted as far from the normal disappointing gluten-free texture as I had ever thought possible.
The quick-ripen banana method
If your bananas are looking a bit green but you’re really hankering after some banana bread, don’t panic – there’s a really simple cheat method to ripen them in ten minutes.
Simply preheat your oven to about 140 degrees fan/160 gas, place the bananas on a baking tray in the centre of the oven, and bake for about 10-15 minutes until blackened on the outside.
Then all you need to do is peel them and mash as per step 1 of the recipe below! No problemo. Your own fluffy bread of banana heaven is right this way…
Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Mixing bowl
- bundt tin
- 3 medium bananas
- 250 g self-raising gluten-free flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 90 g vegan butter or spread
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk, e.g. oat or soya
- Extra butter for greasing
- 2 tsp Icing sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan or 190 degrees gas
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork
- Add the eggs to the bananas and continue mixing until combined
- Tip in the flour, baking powder, maple syrup/honey and continue stirring, whilst gradually adding in the milk to loosen up the mixture
- Soften the vegan butter for 10 seconds in the microwave, then mix into the banana mixture
- Finally, add in the cinnamon, mixed spice and vanilla essence
- Grease the bundt tin with a generous amount of butter and tip the mixture in, roughly flattening the top with a fork
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the bread
- Dust with some icing sugar to serve